With all the warning coming out about this chemical or that chemical, I thought I’d share a ‘recipe’ for a simple exfoliating scrub that you can make with ingredients found in your kitchen. This product is super-effective and so safe you could eat it — quite literally!
I have used both salt and sugar when mixing this and must say I prefer the salt. It doesn’t seem to crystallize into one big chunk the way the sugar can at times and better retains its texture.
What You Need:
- glass or plastic mixing bowl
- plastic or wooden mixing spoon
- measuring spoons
- fine salt or granulated sugar
- lemon juice
- tea tree oil and/or granulated citrus peel (optional)
- container or jar with air-tight lid
- Measure out enough salt/sugar to fill container 2/3 full. Pour into bowl.
- Add lemon juice 1/4 tsp at a time, stirring after each addition until salt/sugar is *just* moist enough to gently clump. You won’t need very much lemon juice, so go slowly between additions and mix well.
- If desired, add 3-5 drops of tea tree oil, or some granulated citrus peel (do not exceed 5% of total volume w/ peel). Mix well.
- Fill container and shake. Let sit for 24 hours before using.
To use your new facial scrub, moisten your face and neck. Take about 1/2 tsp of your scrub and rub it between your hands before applying to face. Rub gently in a circular motion for about 30 seconds. Rinse and pat dry.
I happen to have granulated citrus peel on hand for teas and biscotti that I make. I like the extra scent it provides the final product. If you would like to add some extra texture to your scrub and can’t obtain the granulated peel, try pulsing some walnut shell or coffee beans to a fine grind – pieces should be comparable in size to the salt/sugar grains. You can substitute rose water, orange water, or witch hazel in place of the lemon juice. Each will scent the final product somewhat differently.
This can be kept in your bathroom — no refrigeration necessary — and keeps indefinitely. If it starts to clump up a bit, give it a really good shake!